Monday, April 28, 2008

The Art of Eating Locally

Yesterday I went to a trunk show at Capers and met a couple of lovely people there. Chef Ivy Manning and her husband/photographer Gregor Torrence were there promoting their new cookbook "The Farm to Table Cookbook".
Of course after sampling some of the recipes from the cookbook that Capers whipped up....I had to buy the book. I'm really excited to try out a bunch of recipes, especially the Strawberry Shortcakes with Lemon Curd Cream and Ivy's Heirloom Tomato Panzanella Salad.
Ivy writes a lot of freelance food articles and really focuses on shopping and cooking from local farmer's markets. The cookbook is organized by seasons, which makes it easy to plan a great seasonal menu. I plan on having trying a few of her ideas on friends at impromptu dinner parties. Of course, when they mention how wonderful the food is I will say, "Oh this is just something that I threw together after shopping the Farmer's Market today".
Chef Ivy has also has some great recipes on her site (fancy pants herb crackers!), along with a great newsletter you can sign up for.

No comments: